Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 1 - I am excited!

This is an easy and fun challenge. After being sluggish and inconsistent for a year, I am ready to get back to the healthy happy way of living. Not that I have been unhappy - I've just grown unhappy with my body with the addition of some scary belly fat, and puffy thighs pushing the limits of my seams. Overall I had an amazing 2013, taking a New England vacation, a girls trip with my Mother and Daughter to Hot Springs, and a couple of retreats with just me to write and reflect, hike and rest. So it is not that I have not been taking care of myself, I've just gotten lax with diet and had stretches of little to no exercise due to foot surgery, for one, and just getting to complacent for another.

So I have decided to do a 100 day journey of using the easiest and most compatible program for me - the South Beach program, plus exercise regularly. I also have a goal that's compatible with my exercise program - biking trips leading up to an overnight bike trip.  The overnight will be my celebration after my 100 days are complete. I sure hope I stick with this because I love the idea of the trip and the rewarding feeling of accomplishment I will have as time passes and I grow more healthy and lean.

Today is day one midday, so the most I can report is that I am prepared, and I have had my meals so far as planned. I have shopped for the lean proteins and vegetables used in this plan. I have sketched my menus, read about the plan, and prepared some foods and snacks in advance of the upcoming work week. Being prepared is essential to my success. As for exercise, I have already been biking yesterday and last Saturday on the new bike. Plus I have been swimming and using the elliptical at the gym for the past three weeks to get my stamina up. I swam regularly from late August to November but when the cold set in I had stretch of doing nothing. Yoga is also a regular part of my routine because it keeps my back and core flexible and strong.

I took some before pics. I was not as horrified as I thought, but the main focus is the belly. Yikes! Belly fat is dangerous and an ominous sign. It must be reversed. I may share the before once I have some during or after photos that show progress. I will decide later.

Hope to have a happy report tomorrow. Today's workout is another bike ride since we have weather in the 50s and sunny to melt the snow and dry the streets and trails.

I refuse to let the fact that I have had numerous "day ones" in the past couple of years deter me.  I am moving on.

More will be revealed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment